Introductory Letter

Attallah Innis April 15, 2019

Mr. Grove English 21003

All about me
Choosing what I wanted to be later in life wasn’t too hard because like any kid I bounced from business to law, and now to medicine. The decision to pick medicine was not a hard choice because I was always put others first and something always felt right about that path. I also would love to play with the first aid kit in my house and “operate” on my dolls. When I would put others first I didn’t think of it as preparing for my future as a doctor but when I did put the two together I worked out perfectly. To flourish on my career path, I want to be able to understand others scientific finds and to be able to record my own. I feel like being able to record my finding and read others would benefit the future of medicine, because it is a way to communicate without having to have face to face contact.
My goal as a student at CCNY is to learn how to manage my time well. I feel like I have more responsibility to manage than any other college kids because of  the school I choose. Simply because CCNY is a commuter school, I feel like I have to take my education into my hands. This would include getting up early to avoid transportation issues, and being on top of any extracular activities I choose to be apart of. Ensuring that I am at school on time is my number one priority, so I need to get up two hours earlier before my first class start. For most people at CCNY, they commute from their own home, but I live with my grandmother in Washington Heights so another goal of mine is getting useful to being away from my home. I plan on transferring upstate next fall and I feel that being at a short distance now, I am moving each step so I can be hours away.
This class will probably take up most of my time with the writing requirements this will force me to work on my time management skills. I will need to get the writing assignments done as soon as possible so that I’m not struggling in the end. Writing hasn’t always been a strong subject for me so I have to work ten times harder so it can be. The process of writing drafts has always helped me out because it helps with the time management and makes my writing a lot better. The drafting and revision process will probably prove to be helpful because I work better when I am told what I am doing right and wrong.
I have always wished to pursue a study in obstetrics gynecology or pediatric surgery. What interests me about this field is to be able to bring children into the world safely and make sure the mother is healthy throughout that journey as well. I also want to be able to help kids from life threatening diseases, a modo that I feel is very well used all around the world is that “kids are our future” and I want to make sure that they’re there. Also a big issue that I currently have is the fact that doctors will give children high addictive drugs after going through a taxing surgery.  I want to research alternative methods to alleviate the pain how for example oxycodone does without having to prescribe it . It is also a very big interest of mine to be a part of “Doctors without Border.” We as Americans are extremely benefited to be able to live in a country that is up to date with new technology, and has the money and resources to be able to research and cure diseases. But other countries are not so fortunate, there are people globally that are in need of medical attention. I want to be able to provide that opportunities for others because that is the person that I am. Too many people in the world die because the hospital is too far, or too equipet to help them and being apart of something being than me is very important.
I have many different goal but on that means a lot me is to be one of the top ten doctors in the country in my perspective field.  I know that this is an extreme goal but I also know that I am going to do the work it takes to make this dream a reality. I do plan on pursuing a graduate degree, but I have not worked out the specifics. I have not done so because it is a very confusing thing to think about so early in my academic career. I plan on writing a ten year plan for myself  to be able to get a view of where I want to be and how I will accomplish that.
All the dreams I have set for myself I plan on accomplishing at least more than half. I know that some of these dreams are going to be tough but it’s all about putting in the work. Working hard is something that in the field I have chosen is not an option but it obligation.